Monday, March 2, 2015

iPad Resets, Sleepy Investigator, Temple Trip, and Another Tour In Anacostia - 03/02/2015

Hello family and friends. I hope all of you have been having a great week so far. Last week was pretty great for us. Elder Paul and I had a lot going on but we still managed to get s pretty good week together. 

Tuesday our mission had a meeting at the Washington, D.C. Stake Center. We all gathered in the chapel. Beforehand our mission leadership told us it had to do with iPads and how we are getting rid of the old ones and getting new ones since the pilot program that our mission has been doing for the past year is now complete. A member from the 2nd Quorum of the 70 came to our mission and announced that we are doing a reset when we receive our new iPads. In short and simple terms, this means that we are acting like we are receiving iPads for the very first time. Along with this we are receiving training on how to properly use iPads as a proper tool for missionaries. Along with this training we are going to go through certain stages where we focus on more specific things. For example we could focus on how to use the gospel library app more effectively for a certain amount of time then we focus on online proselyting. This program will be very beneficial for all of the missionaries. I know I could use some help and advice on how to use these resources more effectively. I believe that the last stage that we are going to cover is online proselyting so that means that all of us missionaries will not have Facebook till then. So this could be up to a month or so. Not quite sure how long, they have not given us too much info. This meeting lasted for several hours. By the time we got back to our area it was about 4. So we had just enough time to get some of our studies in before we headed to a members house for dinner.

Wednesday was our most productive day. Elder Paul and I had to head up to the dentist once again.....  But before we left we had the opportunity to give a missionary a blessing. Elder Paul anointed and I sealed it. This was the 3rd blessing I have been blessed to give, but it was the first time I had done the sealing of the oil. It was an amazing experience. The missionary who I was blessing had gotten under my skin a couple of times, but while I was giving the blessing I felt an overwhelming feeling of love towards him. Heavenly Father showed me just a glimpse of how much he loved this missionary and it was truly an amazing feeling. And ever since then I have really enjoyed being around him. The next thing on the list we had to do on Wednesday was go to the dentist. Once we were done with that we went back to our area for lunch with a member. After lunch we went strait over to visit a man who had requested a DVD.  His name is John Kia and he is very interesting. Our plan going into this lesson was to give him the DVD and then transition into the restoration lesson. To make a long story short, John was on medication for his eyes and this made him very sleepy. He fell asleep probably 7 times in about a half our period. He would be in the middle of a sentence and he would just clonk out. He would also fall asleep if he was reading, answering a question, or just listening. It was a very strange lesson but the good news is we were able to meet with him again and he was a lot more with it. After this lesson we went to Capital Hill to meet a member for dinner at an awesome pizza place. We had a good time. By the time we were done, it was time to go to Ward Council. 

Thursday we started out with some snow, so we were not able to attend our weekly missionary meeting. We were able to make it to Althea's. Althea is a recent convert. She is an amazing person! She has been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and it's not look very good for her. She is currently working on getting her temple recommend so she can go through the temple and that is what we talked to her about. After Althea, we had our weekly planning day.

Friday we were able to go to the temple! Yay! All of the missionaries were able to go on Wednesday, but since I had a dentist appointment, Elder Paul and I were able to with the North Elders who were sick on Wednesday. It was a very good session. Much more peaceful because there was hardly anyone there.  After the temple we went to good old Costco for lunch. Then we went home. There was lots of traffic on the roads so It took us forever to get home. When we did it was already time for dinner.

Saturday, like always, we played basketball at the stake center with some non-members and other missionaries. It was a lot of fun. Afterward, we had to drop the the other elders off at their apartment and then we ran a couple of errands. Elder Paul wanted to return a CD case he got the other day and all the other missionary's canceled their gym passes because of transfers being next week and some other reasons. By the time we were all done, Elder Paul and I had just enough time to get ready and get to our appointment with John. This time it went a lot better than the last time. We just talked about the Book of Mormon and why it is so important to our religion. We gave him one and asked him if he would read and pray about it and he said he would. After John we went to a recent converts home and just sat down and talked to her for a little bit until it was time to go to our member dinner. After dinner we went home and waited for the call to tell us if we were going to be leaving or if we were going to be staying for transfers. I was pretty sure I was going to stay, but I was really hoping I would leave. And I am staying . Oh well haha. I will be spending a least a quarter of my mission in Anacostia.

Sunday we had some pretty bad weather. We had freezing rain so we were told to stay off the roads a much as possible, so we went to church went back, and then went to dinner and that was it.

Today we are planning on going to Cafe Rio and I'm really excited about that. Other than that, we don't really have any plans. 

Have a great week everyone!   

No comments:

Post a Comment